Sunday, January 2, 2011

Basic Tools to Get Started

If you open up the black case underneath the seat on the kickstand side you'll find a handy compartment with a set of tools. Or hopefully they're there. If you have a used bike, chances are the original owners lost them. Here's what should be inside that tool kit



We'll get to more of those tools later down the road when I get a chance to use them. For now, I prefer a basic tool set like this which I keep in the shed.



Unless you can afford to buy new tools or must have shiny new ones, get them used at pawnshops or see if anyone you know is cleaning out their garage. My friends are always throwing out perfectly good ones because they're "old" or they've found better ones. The day after Father's Day is a good time to check out craigslist for tools and tool boxes.

The things I consider for a started set:
1. Make sure the tools are metric sizes, measured in mm, since it's a Japanese bike.

2. Getting 6-point sockets instead of 12-point, better grip on the bolts and a lesser chance of stripping the bolt heads when your tightening them down.

3. If buying used, make sure your sockets match up with your ratchet drive.

4. Buying new, try to get them in sets since it's always cheaper.


Here are other tools and items worth keeping under the seat for emergencies or checks.



The jumper cables are from the Battery Tender Jr pack which I installed on the bike. Everything else I've already had from maintaining my car.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rain! I just got my V Star Custom (1998 - a little older but the same bike, yes!) and am looking around the interwebs for tips. I came across your blogspot & its fantastic!

    I hope your Yammi is going strong! Spring is (almost) here! :)

    Regards,
    Vishnu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. Helping my friend put a tool kit together for his 2002 V Star 650

    ReplyDelete