Wednesday, January 5, 2011

West Eagle Solo Seat for V Star Custom 650

Since I already took the pillion seat out the day I got the bike, I only needed a 5 mm allen key to take the stock seat out. If you still have the pillion, you can remove it by taking off the nut at the very back of the seat. That's the only thing holding it in place.



650 owners have often voiced their disdain about how the stock seat makes them feel like they're riding on top of the bike instead of the much coveted "in the saddle feel". This seat definitely delivers on that whim. It is so much thinner than the stock, but quite more comfortable.



It truly takes out a lot of the excess padding where I wasn't too crazy about, the sides. With a shortened width and a thinner base, this is what comes into play for reducing the seat height. It didn't really lower it as much as I wanted, but I haven't been able to test ride it yet due to ice conditions. I'll update once I take it for a spin and write about the comfort factor.

For being priced so closely, a stock seat replacement is $149.87 with the West Eagle one at $159, this seat is miles ahead on quality. It's riveted at the bottom instead of stapled and has a steel base instead of fiberglass or plastic.



Sitting on it, the high end back provides a nice lumbar support, very comfortable on the lower back. This might come in handy on long trips when I want to lean back a little.

You can truly appreciate the slimming effect it has on the sides with this view. I'd say it probably took off about close to an inch for seat height.



The only downside I can see with this seat it is doesn't do a thing for my handlebar reach. It actually might have decreased it, but I was already coming up short even on the stock seat. That should take me to my next mod which will be to add some risers.

Stock Seat


West Eagle Solo Seat

 

1 comment:

  1. Knowing how to use a battery tender for a motorcycle and the perks that it could provide you will allow you to make your battery last for a longer time than usual. A BT is considered as a must have and if you really want to take care of your new baby, then it’s time to get one.

    ReplyDelete