Sunday, January 2, 2011

Why Bother to Write?

With so many motorcycle choices available today, I thought it would be a simple choice to buy one that fits. It's actually been quite an adventure to find a particular model that would fit my height. I'm 5'0 flat and 125 lbs on the day after Thanksgiving, fitting into a bike would prove to be interesting enough to write about it and that's the whole point of this blog. I settled on a 2009 Yamaha V Star Custom 650 and I want to share my experiences getting used to my new motorcycle, doing modifications, and some maintenance. And if I go off on a tandem because riding a bike can be quite EXHILARATING, then I might throw in a few personal thoughts.

It can be quite daunting for a woman to start riding a motorcycle, let alone purchasing one then modifying it to fit your needs and doing some basic maintenance work. This it to who my blog is geared towards. The riding part I'm not going to be extensive on because there are thousands of material already online for beginners, especially female beginners. But nothing about particular models geared toward women or modifications for them. I've noticed that women are continuously asking questions about the '09 V-Star 650 Custom and since I have one, it would be helpful to document the things I've done to it.

Now why on earth would I target such a small audience base? Short women riders who have V-Star 650 Customs. I can't get any more specific than that other than putting a color spec and model year. Because a lot of women look at the V Star 650, yet shy away from it because of its intimidating weight, size or fit. The remaining pool of women who stick with it often adapt to the bike instead of meeting the change halfway and transforming the bike as well to fit their needs. It's such a shame because the 650 is an awesome bike! With a few starting changes, you can tame it enough for a beginner, just like experienced riders who have this bike do some crazy mods to enhance performance suitable for their skill level. At least sit on it and give it a test ride, if it makes your heart beat faster and you absolutely start feeling something like love, seriously consider it.

Every forum for women riders I've run across have been mainly dealing with learning how to ride a bike or purchasing a bike tips. What if you know how to ride and just bought the bike? Now what? You can dive into the forums and start asking a lot of questions but if you're not familiar with a little bit of weekend garage wrenching, it can get quite confusing. Hopefully this blog will help. Any questions, just drop a note by commenting.


3 comments:

  1. Your blog is exactly what I am looking for! I just bought a 2011 V Star 650 Custom and it is a tad too big for me. I want to bring the handlebars back first of all. The clutch friction zone is frustrating and embarrassing (killing it at stop lights sound familiar?). And the seat mod sounds intriguing. Unfortunately I have no mechanical skills at all. I am wondering if the dealer or maybe a motorcycle mechanic shop would do these mods for me? Thanks for writing! There are others out there like us that need your info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit late to the party, but I just stumbled upon your blog, as my wife and I have been researching the 650 Custom as possibly being her first bike. She is of limited stature, (5'0") and has concerns about being "big enough" to ride this bike. I have a new Honda CB500FA (naked sport bike) which is just too tall (31" seat height) for her to even consider riding, at least to start out. She recently sat on a Shadow 750 and the 26" seat height was very manageable, so I don't think an extra inch or so should be a problem, but we live on a remote island, so are unfortunately not near a dealership to try one on for size. She believes her inseam is approx 26"-27", so I'm thinking with thick-soled riding boots she should be able to flatfoot a 27"-28" seat.

    I have yet to read your blog in its entirety, so I am curious whether you would still recommend this bike, particularly for a short female? We prefer to not have to make modifications to lower the seat height unless absolutely necessary. My other concern is the lack of fuel injection and liquid cooling, both of which my new Honda has. Do you have any issues with it running too warm, or with the old-school fueling?

    We have an opportunity to buy a remaining brand new 2014 650 Custom, (in silver) at a nicely discounted price of $6,499 CAD, (equivalent to $4,989 US) and are seriously considering snagging it before it is gone. Any comments/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you prefer, you can reply to my email address at camperbc02@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Glen B.
    www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Glen just happend along here as well. Wish I could help but just got my first motorcycle and was reading this blog to get some pointers on mods. Looks like this blog is dated but just wanted to say howdy.

    ReplyDelete